WordPress Vs Custom Website Development: illuminating Pros & Cons
WordPress Vs Custom Website Development
Having a featured-packed website is vital to the success of your brand. A website is a platform for your customers to learn more about you and decide if they want to engage with you.
That’s why it’s so important to consider every aspect of your website’s launch, from design to development, when planning your website launch. One of the first choices you’ll face is deciding whether to build your website from scratch using custom HTML or choosing a pre-built template on WordPress. Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress vs custom website development.
A.Building a Website on WordPress
WordPress comes with a number of pre-built templates for users to choose from depending on their needs, and since WordPress is an open-source platform, you can find both free and paid templates to choose from. There are a few advantages and disadvantages of WordPress that you should consider when choosing a backend. Therefore, the demand for WordPress development services is increasing at a great pace.
1. Cost: if a cost-friendly web app is your business requirement, then WordPress is your best bet. The platform offers templates in a variety of price ranges, so you can always find a template that is within your budget. Plus, you don’t need to pay a website designer or developer because it doesn’t require any manual work.
2. Versatility: WordPress offers a variety of sector-specific themes. Depending on which sector your brand belongs to, you can choose from eCommerce, blog, and magazine templates.
3. Diversity of plugins: For a website to work well, it needs not only a great design but also SEO. It needs to be, among other things, SEO-optimized, mobile-optimized, responsive, and fast. Normally, you’ll need a dedicated in-house resource to make sure that all of these elements are in place. However, WordPress provides a host of plugins that can perform these same functions. By using them, you can build a high-performing website in a short period of time with limited resources.
4. Limited features: This is one of the biggest disadvantages of WordPress. If your website requires some custom-built features or unique layouts, it can be difficult to achieve this with WordPress; there is room for customization within WordPress, but the scope for innovation is limited. You may also need a developer to make these changes, which may increase the cost of developing your website.
5. Risk of lack of security: One of the drawbacks of WordPress is the lack of foolproof security. Like any other interconnected platform, WordPress is susceptible to security threats. While the platform frequently upgrades its security features, there is always the possibility that an attack on the platform could affect all websites hosted on it. If your website deals with sensitive information, developing on WordPress could be a risky decision.
Customized WordPress Development
However, using a ready-made WordPress theme may not suit every business. You may settle for a theme, but it may not provide everything you need. In such cases, a business can use a custom theme instead of building it from scratch. Custom themes offer the following benefits: (Learn about WordPress Vs Custom Website Development)
- Gives you complete visual appeal and functionality
- Remove unnecessary options that do not need to be attached to the theme.
- Maintain quality at every stage of development.
Not every business– small or big– has its own development team. In those cases, it’s best to partner with a development company that has WordPress developers. This allows the business to focus on the content it needs, while an outsourced development team can take care of the functionality and make changes to the visual effects as needed.
B. Building a Custom Website
While contemplating WordPress Vs Custom website development, it is observed that custom web design services are also in great demand these days. An option to utilizing a pre-built template in WordPress is to code your own website from scratch. This option requires professional resources, such as a web designer or web developer, and while the advantages and disadvantages of WordPress may make you want to consider building a custom website, this option is not without its drawbacks. Here are some of the most important points to consider if you’re planning to build a custom website. (WordPress Vs Custom Website Development)
1. Greater control: Custom building your website means that you can create a website that is completely unique and perfectly suited to your requirements. Unlike templates, there are no barriers to the degree to which you can personalize your website. This will be especially useful if you want to incorporate advanced features and functionality into your website.
2. Speed up: Custom websites are generally faster than those built with WordPress. This is because one of the biggest advantages of WordPress is also one of its biggest disadvantages: the sheer number of plugins you can install on your WordPress website can significantly slow down your website’s speed. Custom websites, on the other hand, have these features built-in, rather than in the form of plugins. As a result, page load times are dramatically slower on custom websites.
3. Better security: Unlike WordPress, which is an open-source platform, custom websites are built as a closed source network. This means that your website is less vulnerable to security threats because it is not interconnected with any platform. Also, your website developers can install advanced security measures on your website since they are building it from scratch. Thus, if tight security is the most important factor for you, a custom-built website is the way to go.
4. Long development time: The limits of what you can do with a custom website are endless, but it all takes time. Since there are no ready-made templates, you will have to create every element of your website from scratch. This means that the development time for a custom website is considerably longer than for a WordPress website. Also, even after your website is published, it will take longer to set up if you need to make changes or customize it.
5. More expensive: This is usually the biggest determinant of a company deciding against using custom website development. Building a website from scratch requires major technical expertise, right from design, to development. Most businesses will need to hire resources to do this or engage with vendors on a contract basis. After the website is live, you will still need to pay for IT support to monitor your website and make sure there are no bugs or security flaws.
Developing a website that is truly representative of your company’s brand is essential for its success; choosing one while analyzing WordPress Vs Custom Website Development and custom website development ultimately comes down to the resources at your disposal and the factors you consider most important.
Being a leading web development company in India, we have been providing customized software solutions to our customers. We specialize in custom software development, WordPress and custom web development, app development, and re-engineering. Contact us today to find out how we can bring value to your business processes.